Monday, March 1, 2010

Boundaries For Sabrina

Yesterday I worked with a wonderful foster family who are very devoted to helping animals in need. They have a busy pack that consists of 4 cats and a beautiful Golden Retriever. Recently they agreed to foster a 1yr old happy go lucky pit bull named Sabrina. They had know idea what they were getting into!
Their Golden is a calm, middle aged dog with a medium to low energy level and the rest of the pack matches. When Sabrina came in she turned the balance upside down, with her over the top high energy. As great as her foster parents were they were not used to a dog with such energy and lack of boundaries.
They made the mistake so many of us do. They were trying to control her excitement with excitement of their own. When she would chase the cats they would get excited and shout "NO". This was only making the intensity all the more exciting for Sabrina.
Their Golden was also not setting boundaries with the new pup by allowing her to mall and jump all over her. To most people it looked as though Sabrina was out of control. To me, it looked like Sabrina had no idea where her boundaries were. To control her in the house they used a tether attached to heavy furniture. They were not being cruel, they were simply trying their best to help her and still maintain some peace in their home. What they were missing were clear boundaries for Sabrina.
I started by gaining Sabrina's trust. Many people will think when you give tons of love and affection to a dog and they respond with kisses and tail wagging this is trust. It is not, this is playfulness and love, but not love and respect. Sabrina did not need my love at that moment, she needed my leadership if I was to help her.

I ignored her completely!

This is dog language for dominance. I spent a good 10 minutes alone with her in her yard not looking at her, not talking to her and not touching her. At first she was confused, she bark, she stood her ground, she tried to get me to notice her, I didn't. Slowly I moved into her space with out making eye contact, forcing her to back away and allow me ownership of the yard. When I felt she respected me I went to the door but did not allow her in the house until I invited her in. This let her know that I was now in control of the yard, the house, the other dog, and even her foster parents. The Parents did exactly what I like to see. They stayed back, thus showing little Sabrina that they trusted me and respected me, that energy flowed through the dogs and even the cats!
Now that I had the trust and respect of the house it was easy to show the foster parents how to use that same body language to give their bouncy pit boundaries. In fact, it was almost too easy. I wanted to show them how to create a boundary around a toy Sabrina loved, but I needed her to try to take in order for me to show them. She wouldn't. Sabrina was reading my energy and instantly submitting her toys to me. I had to have the owners play with her and the toy and then I could step in and make one quick (non excited) noise, from deep down in my gut to relay to Sabrina I wanted the toy. She backed away, not out of fear, but respect. She did not have her feelings hurt, her tail was not tucked under, she simply was respecting that I wanted the toy. Rather than taking the toy away I left it on the ground and when ever Sabrina would look at it, or make a move at it I would make my noise and she backed off.
I told the parents to play this every night. Bond with her, play on the floor with her, but after about 15 minutes claim the toy. Leave it on the floor, but don't allow Sabrina to play with it. From a humans perspective this seems mean or cruel, but to Sabrina it was just nature. And more than that it calmed her down INSTANTLY ! Because she felt secure in someones authority. There were no harsh words, no cruel gestures, I did not even touch her, I simply told her in a way she understood that play time was over and now it was calm time. Sabrina was a model student!
Because I wanted to build the packs bonding I showed them all to play a game of "find it". This game is supposed to be fun for the dogs and people and everyone should be built up by it, not torn down. First I pulled out a bag of hot dog bits and claimed them by holding it to my chest and not allowing the dogs to approach me. When they understood it was mine I offered them each a piece but made them wait, just a bit, to get it. This sets up the rules for the game.
I had both dogs wait on one side of the room while I moved to the other. With the hot dog in my hand I chose a corner to hide it in, pretending to set it down several places before choosing a spot. I left the hot dog bit but would not let the dogs go for it until I said the words "find it". I used a slightly excited voice and motioned toward the corner so they would know it was okay with me. After some hunting and sniffing the Golden found it and Sabrina got a treat too. We played several more times and Sabrina was quite proud when she sniffed it out first.
I asked the parents to play this everyday making it harder and harder to find. This will bond the pack, challenge the dogs, and drain energy, while doing the most important thing, teaching boundaries in a fun way for all.
Sabrina turned out to be a wonderful affectionate dog who is now on her way to good house hold boundaries and will soon be a delightful family pet in her forever home! Nice work Sabrina, and nice work to the foster parents who really stepped up for this little gal!!

*If you are interested in adopting Sabrina or helping to foster another dog you can find more information about Boise Bully Breed Rescue by clicking on the link on this site*

No comments:

Post a Comment