Friday, March 26, 2010

DIGGING!

I get a lot of calls and questions about dogs digging in the back yard. Honestly, these are my least favorite calls because I can tell an owner exactly how to fix the problem but most of the time they won't. Most owners already know why their dog is digging and how to stop it, but they are hoping I will have some magic wand that will stop the digging but not require them to change their routine. I don't have such a wand.

Dogs dig for only two reasons, and often it is a combination of both. 1) The dog is bored...plain and simple 2) the dog needs to relieve stress

I know the moment I get a "HELP MY DOG IS DESTROYING MY YARD" call that the dog is not going on a daily brisk walk. I also know that the dog is spending large amounts of time alone in the yard. Clients often tell me that they have a "big backyard", when I ask how much exercise their dog gets. I call this the "big backyard myth". You may have 5 acres or you may have .5, it doesn't matter to your dog. Unless you are back there instigating play your dog could care less how big your yard is. Dogs alone get bored. Period.

Think of it like this, in the wild dogs are never alone. They are always with the pack. If they are alone they feel anxious and vulnerable because the pack is their protection. They don't understand that you built a nice strong fence. They still hear dogs down the street, loud trucks, cars back- firing, and they are alone and vulnerable. This is also why dogs bark non stop when left in a back yard alone.

When I tell my clients how to fix the problem they always hesitate. Why? Because they know that this is going to require a change from them, not the dog. If your dog digs up your yard don't leave him in it. Plain and simple. Get up every morning and take him for a nice long walk before he eats. He will have drained his energy and be ready for a few hours of rest. If you have to go to work you can put him in a crate and feel secure that he will be tired and ready for a nap while you’re gone. When you get home another walk and some play time in the back yard.

I don't care what kind of dog you have; it needs at least 30 minutes of structured activity a day. And that is for a low energy dog! High energy will need 60+ minutes a day. What is structured activity? Walking is number one! It is how your dog bonds with you as leader, drains physical and mental energy, and feels a sense of purpose. Structured play is another good activity but is used WITH a walk, not in place. Fetch, frisbee, find it, these are all good game you can play with your dog, and you can intensify those games by making them harder. Make your dog sit and wait before you throw the ball, or do a trick to get it thrown. Make an obstacle course in your back yard and teach your dog to go through it. Dogs love games and the ideas are endless.

I recently had a Heeler mix as a foster and I did not want to leave my Border Collie and him alone out back to make trouble, but when I had to clean house or get ready I designed a game they could play without me to keep them busy. I made a treasure hunt out of our yard. I had both dogs lay and wait in the middle of the yard while I hid pork rinds all over! (The waiting is also a good energy drain) I would hide at least 30-40 pieces of pork rind under bushes, up on chairs, in the grass, even on top of the play set. When I was done I told the dogs to "find it" and I had a good 20 minutes to spend in the house doing what I needed to do, confident the dogs were engaged.

*Remember, if your dog is destroying your yard it is YOU who needs to change, not the dog. You are not meeting all your dogs’ needs. Add in more exercise, structured play, and supervision and you won't have holes. Dogs in the wild dig for purpose. They don't just dig to dig. A big backyard and lots of toys means nothing to a dog if you are not there to engage him.

No comments:

Post a Comment